18 March 2008

10/50 - Baba Louie

Remember him? He was Quick Draw McGraw’s sidekick. I watched them as I ate big bowls of mushy Wheaties every Saturday morning, sitting on the floor in front of the TV in my pajamas, blissfully parent-free. They were sleeping in.

I liked Baba Louie a lot more than Quick Draw. He was cute. He was smart. QD was just a big, white dork, dumb as dirt. Today I know that Baba Louie was a blatant stereotype: small, heavy accent, was a donkey. The depiction was bigoted. But it backfired. I loved that little guy.

2 comments:

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

I don't remember that cartoon, though I vaguely remember Quick Draw. Baba Louie is also of course the source for Howard Stern's sidekick's nickname, "Baba Booey." I just got Sirius radio the other day. Haven't heard Howard Stern since he left the normal airwaves. I'll have to tune in again sometime, although I'm enjoying the music on Sirius much more than the talk.

Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

I never liked Quick Draw, Hong Kong Phooey OR Underdog because they were all such cretins...