08 October 2008

Come along with us

It's easy, when we're worried, distraught and filled with amorphous fear about the future, to forget just how far America has come over the last 50 years. For young folks, it's all history, it all happened in the long-ago and doesn't seem to have any real relevance today. For those of us who lived as that history was made, it's also easy to forget how different our lives are than they were then. We get caught up in the everyday. We take our world for granted.

It's good to have an occasional "reality check moment" for just those reasons. And a few minutes ago, I had one.

Donna Brazile was on a New Yorker panel hosted by Jeffrey Toobin on Oct. 4 -- and at the end, she stole the show. I can't get the video to show up here, but do click on the link and watch it from the New Yorker's web page. It's not very long, but it's worth your time. Brazile reminded me where we've all come from -- and she both made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes.

Update: For those of you who prefer your upliftin' accompanied by music, enjoy:

1 comment:

will said...

Donna Brazile spoke truth - I can only hope enough people heard her.

btw - nice blog insert.